Tuesday, June 12, 2012
Latinos Who Have Won Tony Awards
In the 66 years of its existence (as of this writing), there have been numerous Latino nominees, but only fifteen (15) have won the award, including quite a few who have multiple Tony awards. They are listed below in alphabetical order.
• David Álvarez shared the Tony Award with Trent Kowalik and Kiril Kulish for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical for playing the title role in Billy Elliot The Musical (2009).
• José Ferrer is the winner of three Tony Awards including receiving an award at the first Tony Awards ceremony, for Theatrical Performance by an Actor for his performance as the title character in Cyrano de Bergerac (he tied with Frederic March for his performance in the play Years Ago) in 1947. His other awards came in 1952 for Distinguished Dramatic Actor for The Shrike and for Outstanding Director for three plays (The Shrike, The Fourposter and Stalag 17). He remains the only person to win Tonys for directing and acting in the same year for the same project (essentially for directing himself).
• Jesús García shared a Special Tony Award for Excellence in Theater with the principal ensemble of La bohème (2003).
• Gerald Gutiérrez won back-to-back Tony Awards for Best Direction of a Play with his work on The Heiress (1995) and A Delicate Balance (1996).
• Wilson Jermaine Heredia won the Best Performance by a Featuring Actor in a Musical for his role as Angel Dumott Schunard in Rent (1996).
• Alex Lacamoire shared the award for Best Orchestrations with Bill Sherman for In The Heights (2008).
• Priscilla López won the Best Featured Actress in a Musical Tony for A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine (1980).
• Robert López has won three Tony Awards for his compositions. He and Jeff Marx won the Best Original Score Tony Award for Avenue Q (2004), as well as sharing the Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score Tony awards with Trey Parker and Matt Stone for The Book of Mormon (2011).
• Lin-Manuel Miranda has won two 2008 Tony Awards for In The Heights, for Best Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre and for Best Musical.
• Rita Moreno won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Play for The Ritz (1975).
• Karen Olivo won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical for playing Anita in West Side Story (2009).
• Sara Ramírez won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Musical for playing The Lady of the Lake in Monty Python's Spamalot (2005).
• Chita Rivera has won two Tony Awards, both for Best Actress in a Musical: The Rink (1984) and Kiss of the Spider Woman (1993).
• Rubén Santiago Hudson won a Tony for Best Featured Actor in a Play for his role in Seven Guitars (1996).
• Paulo Szot won a Tony for Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Émile de Becque in South Pacific (2008).